Saskatoon, SK: The Saskatoon Airport Authority (SAA) Board of Directors has given formal
approval to the Airport Terminal Expansion project following the presentation of final design
concepts by local architectural firm Kindrachuk-Agrey. The expansion, budgeted at $53 million
and scheduled to begin early 2012, is expected to be completed by the summer of 2014.
“We are very excited to begin this project that will deliver to our community its future airport,”
states Nancy Hopkins, SAA Board Chair. “When completed, the public will be treated to a
higher level of service, comfort and efficiency. Most importantly, we will be able to offer much
needed amenities and services for food, beverage and retail. This is truly a building our
community will take pride in.”
The expansion focuses primarily on the post security area adding just under 130,000 square feet
on two floors. “It’s a big project”, comments President & CEO Bill Restall. “…bigger than our
last expansion in 2001. In essence, we are doubling the size of the building,…post security is
where we have focused our efforts in order to deliver a positive customer experience.”
The terminal expansion is part of a 10-year, $105 million overall Airport capital plan. Future
capital projects to be undertaken by the SAA include a parking structure and a privately funded
integrated on-site hotel complex.
- Construction will begin early in 2012 with completion in summer of 2014. No construction
disruption will be experienced until after the coming winter charter program.
- The new Terminal will feature a pier design and offer eight bridgeable gates along with three
- The expansion will include opportunity for a variety of food, beverage and retail services as
well as a Business Lounge. The expanded services will primarily be post-security.
- Existing terminal is 139,000 square feet - new building area will be 266,670 square feet.
- Increased seating capacity is a primary focus and will incorporate comfortable seating areas,
business stations, a fireplace and children’s play areas.
- The expansion will be funded through the current Airport revenues including the AIF fund.
For further information contact:
President & CEO
Saskatoon Airport Authority
Manager, Customer and Terminal Services